The Eurovision Song Contest skill was jointly developed by the EBU's Technology & Innovation and Media departments and allows users in the UK, Germany, Austria and the US to easily discover who has won every Eurovision Song Contest since the event began in 1956.
The work of the PEACH team takes place under the auspices of the EBU Technical Committee. Two Members – BR and RTS – initially took the lead in dedicating developers to the project. Their aim was to quickly co-develop a data pipeline and software solution that would enable broadcasters to easily implement personalization.
After a successful introduction at the FIS Alpine World Ski Championships in Vail 2015, the service is now being carried by many European radio broadcasters such as Swiss Members RTR and RTS, Bayerischer Rundfunk, RAI Südtirol, NRK, RTBF, Radio France Bleu and VAL202 Slovenia.
The new recommendation system was developed by the PEACH team – Personalization for EACH – created on 1 October 2016 under the auspices of the EBU's RecSys group. The PEACH team functions as a single Scrum team across organizations and borders, taking a highly collaborative approach.
Managing a fleet of microservices is not trivial. EBU DevCon 2016 gave a unique opportunity to developers to learn from experiences of other broadcasters and to experiment with the two technologies.
This demo showed a personalized news channel with a mix of catch up content and live items. It highlighted the concept using dynamic content to personalize the news experience for viewers and showed how IP production and distribution can work together to create an integrated media experience.
ETSI publishes EBU Technical Specification on Cross-platform Authentication (CPA). The CPA protocol is specifically designed for devices with limited input and display capabilities that are not addressed by existing standards.
Teams had 48 hours to prototype a project to “transform the European Football Championships into new engaging digital experiences in order to connect people.” The aim was to produce an innovative prototype or concept for mobile tools, storytelling techniques and data gathering, as well as a roadmap for implementation before June 2016.
Third edition of EBU's DEVCON. A bunch of cutting edge talks about software, development, technology and media at EBU's headquarters in Geneva.
The dash.js reference player (release v1.5) supports the EBU-TT-D subtitling format. A large part of the development was done by Solène Buet (EPFL).
Bringing the media experience into the 21st Century in the september edition of tech-i - Personalization, use cases at BBC, RTS and RTVE.
New open source and standalone version of EBU's Content Manager for generating Hybrid Radio visuals for DAB and RadioVIS
Live Visual Radio slideshow including graphics from FIS, data from Swiss Timing's Longines measurements and social media images.
Second edition of EBU's Developer Conference provided an opportunity to learn about best practices in software engineering and get hands-on with current development and deployment tools.
Publication of cross-platform single sign-on authentication mechanism CPA as an EBU recommendation
Live Visual Radio slideshow including data from Swiss Timing and multiple image source during Europen Athletics Championships in Zurich.
The EBU.IO QC tool is the home of the EBU QC Test Items. These define the Quality Control checks that can be performed on audio/visual material to ensure they meet broadcaster specifications.
EBU.IO, a platform where EBU and Members can publish, run demonstrations and proofs-of-concept, access starter kits and manage experimental services.
- Visual Radio case for sports on European Swimming Championships in Barcelona. Partnership with Swisstiming to receive sport timing metadata . EBU transform them into visuals using a modified version of the EBU Content Manager.
- Creation of ebu.io platform for sharing developments made at EBU and sharing of open software.
- EBU actively participates again to RMLL (Libre Software Meeting), happening in Brussels by managing the theme dedicated to Media
- First EBU DevCon conference
First Radiohack workshop, an event made for developers and engineers to put hands on technology, make contacts and learn how to deploy hybrid radio. RTBF, Radio France, RSR test the service.
- Demonstration during the Radio Week that Digital Radio transmission based on CRC open source tools and generic hardware can be used to cover a region at a very low cost compared to traditional infrastructure. Temporary Digital Radio licence awarded for coverage of region around EBU headquarters.
- Radiohack 2012 workshop during the radioweek, with sharing of knowledge on open source tools for hybrid radio and digital radio (program).
- EBU participation to RMLL even (International Libre Software Meeting) happening in Geneva. Theme dedicated to media/Radio/TV.
- Tagging demonstration for hybrid radio with personalisation of tags. MediaAUTH proposal for a distributed authentication infrastructure across channels and receiving platforms. Demonstration at IBC. This project has now become part of CPA group activity.
Hybrid and Visual radio case for News and talk radio on a live event at European parliament in Brussels. Content production, transmission on digital and hybrid radio.
- Creation of http://www.ebulabs.org website for gathering open source developments and host experimental services (now migrated to ebu.io platform)
- Setting up of RadioDNS manager, hybrid radio server. Objective: provide an online test service for members allowing them to activate hybrid radio for their station in a few clicks without having to deploy their own infrastructure.
- Development of a broadcast hotspot device capable of receiving free-to-air radio broadcasts and retransmit them to local device on wifi. Demonstration for hybrid radio at IBC.
- First Radiohack workshop, an event made for developers and engineers to put hands on technology, make contacts and learn how to deploy hybrid radio. RTBF, Radio France, RSR test the service.
- Hybrid Radio demonstration at Geneva International Motorshow based on EBU Content Manager, hybrid radio DAB reception on Nokia phone using digital radio headset.
- Hybrid and Visual radio case for News and talk radio on a live event at European parliament in Brussels. Content production, transmission on digital and hybrid radio.
ebulabs.org, a platform for gathering open source developments and host experimental services (now migrated to ebu.io platform)
Hybrid Radio demonstration at Geneva International Motorshow based on EBU Content Manager, hybrid radio DAB reception on Nokia phone using digital radio headset.
- Hybrid Radio implementation on Chumby open hardware device. Objective: build a RadioDNS demonstration receiver, test development of new services.
- First EBU Content Manager: Creation of a visual radio production platform. Objective: have a modular production tool for demonstrations and development of new services.
- IBC Demonstration: Full visual and multiplatform radio chain, from production to reception on DAB , DRM and FM/RadioDNS receivers.
- Integration of a live DAB transmission in a box system based on open source software developed by CRC research center in Canada. It is demonstrated that using generic PC hardware and the Software Defined Radio approach, it is possible to transmit a low power full a DAB multiplex for less that 3500€. Demonstration at IBC. Explanation video
Integration of a live DAB transmission in a box system based on open source software developed by CRC research center in Canada.
Hybrid Radio implementation on Chumby open hardware device. Objective: build a RadioDNS demonstration receiver, test development of new services.
Around 70 persons from broadcasters to industry join this event and learn about the open source software model and early projects for broadcasting. Live demonstrations.